Director of Children & Youth Ministries
Part Time – 10 hours per week, $20 per hour
Reports to Pastor, Head of Staff
Job Summary: The Director of Children and Youth Ministries serves as a part-time (10 hours per week) member of the church staff, directing and managing children’s and family ministries of Kanawha United Presbyterian Church (KUPC). His/her main responsibility is to develop and lead Christian Education (CE) ministries to children, youth and families. His/her main objective is to foster and nurture Christian faith and discipleship in visible, fruitful ways so that children and youth feel welcomed, valued and nurtured. The position requires this candidate to lead/teach a Reformed-based curriculum, work cooperatively with staff and congregants, and communicate effectively through various channels, requiring some knowledge of technology. While work hours are flexible, this candidate must be available for Sunday morning worship.
Specific job duties:
- Build relationships with, and encourage, children youth, and families to attend regular worship and special events at KUPC
- Integrate children and youth into Sunday worship
- Coordinate Sunday School for children and youth
- Staff and supervise the church nursery and workers
- Coordinate Confirmation Program with the Pastor
- Coordinate or lead the Children’s Sermon weekly
- Attend CE Committee meetings
- Communicate activities through email, newsletter, website
- Organize Vacation Bible School (often in partnership with another church)
- Reinstate quarterly “Fun at Church”, if time permits
Qualifications & Characteristics:
- Experience in Christian Educational leadership preferred but not required
- Possesses a genuine concern for all people, and capacity to relate with all people in a sensitive, respectful way
- Capacity to work successfully as part of a ministry team with other staff members, volunteers and congregants
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to or mail to KUPC, 1009 Virginia Street, East, Charleston, WV 25301: Attention: Marjorie Cooke.